Egg and Asparagus Toasts
- 2 asparagus spears, trimmed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 eggs
- 2 thin slices of good, crusty bread
- Sherry vinegar, to taste
- Flaky salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Bring a pot of salted water to a boil and fill a large bowl with ice water. Boil the asparagus spears for 60 – 90 seconds, depending on their thickness. Remove with tongs and immediately transfer to the ice water. Let cool down in the water for a few minutes, and then remove and thinly slice diagonally.
- Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add the eggs along with a very small splash of water. Cover the skillet. Meanwhile, toast the bread.
- Check the eggs after a minute or so, and nestle the sliced asparagus into the whites of the eggs when they are just starting to set. Cover the skillet again and cook until the whites are completely set and the yolks are still runny.
- When the eggs are cooked, sprinkle a generous amount of sherry vinegar over the toasted bread. Top with the egg and asparagus mixture – and don’t fret if some of the asparagus pieces fall off! Sprinkle with flaky salt and freshly ground black pepper, and serve.
Alan Cohen (via thelittleyellowdiary)